Sunday, July 27, 2008

Epic Bikes

I wanted to take a moment out of my cup of coffee to do something that I feel few consumers take the time to do: I want to give a shout-out/kudos/mad props (you choose) to everyone at Epic Bikes. I feel it's overdue for me to give a well deserved pat-on-the-back for all of the good that they do for the cycling community, as well as those who know very little but still want a bike (be it hybrid, road, mountain, BMX or even kiddie wheels w/ trainers). I have recently become a cycling enthusiast and and I owe a great deal of my knowledge to the guys (and girl!!) at Epic Bikes. Very rarely do you run across a business willing to help novice riders by educating them - many shops sell you whatever they need to move off the floor (even if it's not the best bike for you!) - and probably chuckle as you pull out of the parking lot.

For example: Yesterday, Heather and I stopped by Epic after our ride along the PATH trail. Heather has a mountain bike that hurts her back, is about two sizes too small, and really isn't equipped for the type of riding that is more prevalent in Georgia (i.e. - a state, for all intents and purposes, that doesn't have real mountains). Heather thinks she wants a road bike so we've been focused on finding her a good starter bike. Although I had a good guess, I knew that we need to have a proper fitting to make sure we were in the ballpark with regards to the size frame that would best suit her physic. I had called ahead to let BikeMike know we'd be stopping by, and upon our arrival to the shop, he dropped everything he was doing to come over, introduce himself and "talk bikes". Now, granted, talking to Mike when you know nothing of bikes is a little like talking to Einstein about the theory of relativity if you've never taken physics. But my point is, many shops would have let us wander aimlessly or allowed us to pick up the "prettiest" bike in the shop. By the time we left, Mike had confirmed what I suspected (Heather needs a 54cm roadbike) and even drawn heather a picture with the corresponding geometry figures that would fit her body as she browsed for a bike. No pressure to buy from them, no giggles when she freaked out over the fact that she can't place her feet flat footed on the ground while sitting on the saddle. Epic knows that everyone has a starting point and they willingly (and without judgment) educate consumers from that point forward.

So kudos to Epic for a job well done, you deserve recognition for all that you do for the cycling community, as well as the superior level of knowledge that flows from your employees.

1 comment: